Account Creation - Manage profile settings
random image

Back To: Hardin County | Your Government | Auditor | Passports


Navigation Auditor
Banner Banner-Images/Doc.jpg
Department Auditor
Parent Page Auditor
Internal Department No content items.

The Hardin County Auditor's office accepts passport applications for U.S. citizens planning international travel and may apply for their passports Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Please call the Auditor's Office at 641-939-8108 to make an appointment.

Passport photos may also be taken each day in the Auditor's office for $15 (cash or check) per person.

Passport Books Cards

Applicants may apply for either a passport book or a passport card. The passport book and passport card are valid for 10 years for adults age 16 and above. The passport book and passport card are valid for 5 years for minors under age 16.

For More Information

For more information on which type of passport you may need, access a helpful online guide to the differences between the passport book and the passport card provided by the U.S. Department of State.

Applying for a U.S. Passport

First-Time Passport Application

In order to obtain a first-time passport, applicants must complete the Application for a U.S. Passport. Applications need to be completed with black ink. If any errors are made, start over on a new form. Do not use whiteout or draw a line through the error.

Applications & Forms

Access passport applications and forms online on the U.S. Department of State website.

Forms of Payment

The Auditor's Office will accept cash or check for the acceptance fee (for new passports) and for photos. The check can be made out to Hardin County.

The Department of State will accept check or money order for the passport fee.

No debit or credit cards are accepted for payment.


I lost my passport. What do I need to get a new one?

You will need to apply using form DS-11 and form DS-64 Statement of Lost or Stolen Passport.

As always, you will also need proof of citizenship and proof of identity. For most people, this will be a driver’s license and a birth certificate.

My birth certificate is issued from the hospital where I was born. Is that okay?

Documentation requirements have changed over the years for security reasons. You must have a birth certificate issued by the state or county of your birth, not the hospital.

It must have your parents’ names listed, the location and date of birth, date filed, and have an official raised seal.

If your original document does not contain all of the information, you will need to obtain a certified copy from the state or county of your birth.

Do I need an appointment to apply for my passport?

No. We are always happy to assist you on a first come, first served basis. We are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

I need a passport fast. I’m traveling in five days. What are my options?

Be advised that there are many third-party couriers on the internet that advertise expedited passport processing for a hefty fee. Most of these fees are more than double what you would normally pay for your passport and expedite fee.

If you or someone you know can appear in person in Minneapolis to obtain your passport, you will save yourself time and money. The “hand-carry” procedure allows you to apply in person at our office and then hand-deliver the package to Minneapolis.

We will be happy to explain the process to you in person or by phone at 641-939-8108.

Contact Us

Auditor Office

Physical Address

1215 Edgington Avenue Suite 1
Eldora, IA 50627


Phone: 641-939-8108

Fax: 641-939-8223


Monday - Friday
08:00 AM - 04:30 PM