Account Creation - Manage profile settings

Frequently Asked Questions

Invasive and Noxious Weeds

Every county in Iowa has a Weed Commissioner to oversee that county’s noxious weed control program. The Hardin County Weed Commissioner is located at the Engineers Office 708 16th St., Eldora, IA 50627 Phone: 641-939-8263

All landowners are required to control noxious weeds on their property to eliminate seed production. Weeds growing within city limits, in abandoned cemeteries, along railroads, streets, and highways, as well as on farmland, or any private or public land, must be controlled. The Hardin County Weed Commissioner enforces the Iowa Noxious Weed Law. Iowa Code Chapter 317 – Weeds

Noxious Weeds and other invasive species threaten all of our natural resources. They can destroy native plant and animal habitat, damage recreational areas, clog waterways, lower land values, decrease agricultural crop yields, and some can even poison humans and livestock.

Noxious Weeds are also a leading cause of species endangerment under the Endangered Species Act. The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, along with Hardin County, has declared 31 species of plants as Noxious.

View a complete list of plants considered noxious by Hardin County or the State of Iowa. Complete list of noxious plants.