Account Creation - Manage profile settings
random image

FAQ - Obtaining an Iowa Driver's License

Navigation No content items.
FAQ - Obtaining an Iowa Driver's License
Department No content items.
Parent Page No content items.
Internal Department No content items.

We have provided guidelines to follow if you have an out of state driver's license and are wishing to obtain an Iowa Driver's License or view the Iowa Driver's License and ID Checklist

Step 1: Document of Date of Birth, Identity, & Lawful Status or Presence

One of two documents will be required to establish identity and lawful status or presence:

  • Certified Birth Certificate issued by a state of the United States. It must be a certified copy and have the stamp or raised seal of the issuing authority.
  • Valid unexpired U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card

Step 2: Check Your Name

If your current full legal name is different than the name listed on the identity document from step 1 you must bring documents that connect the name on the identity document you selected to your current full legal name.

Maiden name or court ordered name changes require:

  • If your name has changed from your maiden to married name we will need to see a Certified Marriage Certificate that links your maiden name to the married name. We can only accept marriage certificates that are issued by the state office of vital statistics or equivalent agency in your state and must be a certified copy with a stamp or raised seal.
  • If your name has changed due to a court order we will need one of the following that applies to the situation:
    • Court order under petition for name change
    • Court order for name change in a divorce decree or decree of annulment
    • Court order for name change in a decree of adoption

Step 3: Document Your Social Security Number (SSN)

Please bring one of the following documents:

  • Pay stub with your social security number on it
  • Social Security Administration 1099 form
  • < li>Social Security Card
  • W-2 Tax form

Step 4: Document Your Iowa Residency & Residential Address

You will need to provide us with two documents that show your current name and residential address. You can choose two of these listed documents:

  • Application for Homestead Tax Credit
  • Iowa voter registration card
  • Mobile Telephone Bill
  • Pay Stub from employer
  • Utility Bill
  • Valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (auto, life, health, homeowner's or renter's)
  • Valid Iowa vehicle registration certificate

If you are unsure whether your documents are sufficient to prove your residency, please contact our office.