Account Creation - Manage profile settings
random image

Back To: Hardin County | Your Government | Sheriff | Records | Accident Reports

Accident Reports

Navigation Records
Accident Reports
Department Sheriff
Parent Page Records
Internal Department No content items.

An accident occurring anywhere within the State of Iowa causing death, personal injury, or total property damage of $1,500 or more must be reported on an Iowa Accident Report (PDF).

If an accident is investigated by the Hardin County Sheriff’s Office, such a report is not required as the Sheriff’s Office will submit the information.

Potential Suspension of Driving Privileges

Failure to return an accident report form within 72 hours may result in suspension of your driving privileges. Note: you must attempt to completely fill out this report.

Get the Iowa Accident Report Form

You may obtain a copy of the Iowa Accident Report form online (PDF), or physically at:

  Hardin County Sheriff’s Office
  1116 14th Avenue
  Eldora, IA 50627


When do I need to fill out a Department of Motor Vehicles accident form?

Every driver involved in an accident resulting in damages to any one person's property is excess of $1,500 must file an accident report with the Department of Motor Vehicles in the State of Iowa.

How soon do I need to file the Department of Motor Vehicles accident form?

Iowa law states these reports be files within 72 hours of the accident, not including weekends or holidays.

If you are unable to file within the 72 hours, submit it as soon as possible.

Failure to report the accident may result in suspension of your driving privileges.

Do I need to file a Department of Motor Vehicles accident report if I reside out of the State of Iowa?

Yes, you are still required to fill out an accident report with Hardin County.

Do I need to fill in the other driver's information on the form?

If you know the other driver's information, it will help the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to match reports more efficiently.

You do not need to be concerned if you do not have the information, as the other driver should file an accident form with the DMV as well.

If Hardin County responded to the accident, then the DMV will also receive a copy of the report from the Hardin County Sheriff's Office.

Contact Us

Sheriff Office

Physical Address

Law Enforcement Center, 1116 14th Avenue
Eldora, IA 50627


Phone: 641-939-8189

Fax: 641-939-8249


Monday - Friday
08:00 AM - 04:00 PM


Mindy Gehrke

Civil Administrator


Phone : (641) 939-8191


Dave McDaniel



Phone : (641) 939-8189

Sheriff Directory

Civil Division Directory

Jail Directory

E911 Communication Directory

Finance and Collections Directory

Additional Contact Information

Toll Free: 800-568-4373

After Hours Fax: 641-939-8209

Emergency Phone: : 911

follow Share