Do I need a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)?

You will need a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) if you are: - Applying for a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) for the first time. - Upgrading your existing CDL and the upgrade requires a skills (driving) test.

You must hold a CLP for at least 14 days before you can complete the required skills (driving) test.

For more information, visit the

Iowa Department of Transportation website.

Show All Answers

1. Who needs to certify their commercial driver’s license (CDL) and how do I certify?
2. How can I change my certification?
3. Where can I get a physical examination?
4. If my chosen medical examiner does not have the appropriate forms, where can the forms be obtained?
5. What will happen if I remain a nonexcepted interstate driver, but fail to renew my Medical Examiner's Certificate?
6. When do farm drivers have to meet physical qualifications?
7. Do I need a CDL?
8. What do I need to get a CDL?
9. Do I need a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)?