General Assistance

General Assistance is emergency assistance for low-income and indigent residents of Hardin County who have exhausted all other funding sources. General Assistance can assist with items such as:

Qualifying Individuals

The General Assistance program is administered based on the Hardin County General Assistance Policy approved by the Board of Supervisors. Assistance is limited to individuals and households meeting the following:
  1. "Poor persons," meaning individuals who have no property, exempt or otherwise, who are unable, because of physical or mental disabilities, to earn a living by labor.
  2. "Needy persons," who are those not meeting the definition in No. 1 above, yet meeting the financial eligibility of the County General Assistance Policies.


The completed application must be submitted to the Community Services Office for consideration. If an in-person interview or intake is needed you will be contacted. You may complete an application at the office during normal office hours, however, General Assistance staff are only available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

In order to be considered for this program, you will need to fill out the General Assistance Application (PDF).

Additional Resources

Mid-Iowa Community Action (MICA) is the Community Action agency serving the Hardin County area. MICA administers the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and assistance with utility costs. They also administer the Ministerial Funds for the Iowa Falls and Alden areas.

For more information, please visit the Mid-Iowa Community Action website.