- Your Government
- Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning
The Environmental Health & Zoning Office will be closed March 28-29, 2023 for staff training.
The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for planning, zoning regulations, and building in the unincorporated area of Hardin County. This department:
- Issues building permits and zoning permits
- Performs zoning inspections by enforcing our zoning ordinance
- Handle requests for rezoning variances, conditional use permits, temporary use permits, and special user permits
- Schedules meetings and public hearings for the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Adjustment
- Handles all major and minor subdivision requests
- Handle request for home industry or home occupations
Why Planning & Zoning?The mission of the Planning and Zoning Department is to comply with and educate the public of the regulations that have been developed in accordance with the Comprehensive Plan for Hardin County.
Reason for RegulationsThese regulations have been adopted in order to:
- Improve safety from fire, flood, and other emergency disasters.
- Protect the health and general welfare of county residents.
- Provide adequate light and air.
- Prevent overcrowding of land.
- Avoid undue concentration of population.
- Protect significant natural and historic resources and fragile ecosystems of the county, including forests, wetlands, rivers, streams, lakes and shorelines, aquifers, prairies, and recreational areas.
- Facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements.
- What permits are needed when building a new house?
- What do I need to obtain a driveway permit?
- Do I need a permit to build a structure other than a home?
- Are there inspections required when building?
- What is the minimum acreage required for building?
- Does Hardin County have floodplain maps?
- How do I get a 911 Address?