CDL & Hazardous Material Endorsements
CDL Written Tests
The Driver's License Office provides CDL written tests on Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Many of the tests are time consuming. Applicants are encouraged to come into the office as early in the day as possible because the Driver's License Office is busiest at the end of the day and there may not be sufficient time to complete the test.
Adding CDL Endorsements to Iowa Driver's Licenses
Hardin County can add the CDL endorsement to your Iowa Driver's License if you've passed the CDL written test and completed a CDL skills drive test at another location. CDL endorsements expire on the expiration date with no 60-day grace period.
Copies of the Iowa Commercial Driver's License Manual are available in the Hardin County Treasurer's Office or available on the Iowa DOT website.
CDL Drive Skills TestThe Iowa CDL drive skills test is available at the following locations in the area:
- Ames 515-296-2393
- Ankeny 515-244-8725
- Fort Dodge 515-573-5141
- Marshalltown 641-752-5668
- Mason City 641-423-8391
- Waterloo 319-235-0902
Hazardous Material EndorsementApplicants are required to provide either a certified birth certificate or valid U.S. Passport when adding the hazardous materials endorsement to your driver's license. You do not, however, need your certified birth certificate or valid U.S. Passport to take the test.
For more information on hazardous material endorsements, visit the Iowa DOT website.
- Who needs to certify their commercial driver’s license (CDL) and how do I certify?
- How can I change my certification?
- Where can I get a physical examination?
- If my chosen medical examiner does not have the appropriate forms, where can the forms be obtained?
- What will happen if I remain a nonexcepted interstate driver, but fail to renew my Medical Examiner's Certificate?
- When do farm drivers have to meet physical qualifications?
- Do I need a CDL?
- What do I need to get a CDL?
- Do I need a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)?